Public and private companies and their shareholders, officers, directors, and advisers are presented daily with questions about corporate governance, financial reporting, or fiduciary issues and, for public companies, SEC compliance. Disagreements among business owners, partners, officers, and shareholders are simply a fact of business life.
Miller Nash Graham & Dunn has focused on these issues for many years and offers extensive experience in advising clients on avoidance and resolution of disputes and, when necessary, prosecuting and defending cases involving corporate governance and shareholder disputes. Our corporate governance and shareholder litigation practice group routinely handles such matters as disputes arising from:
- SEC reporting and compliance responsibilities, whether routine or in connection with contests for control
- Buy-sell agreements among owners of closely held businesses
- Fiduciary compliance for officers and directors of public, private, and nonprofit companies
- Shareholder derivative actions alleging breach of director and officer fiduciary duties and related claims
- Claims arising out of corporate takeovers, mergers, acquisitions, and other contests for control in private or public companies
- Professional liability claims involving accounting or legal malpractice
- Internal and external investigations associated with fiduciary or other obligations
Our corporate governance litigation practice group comprises many well-known and respected counselors and trial lawyers who have successfully litigated corporate governance and shareholder disputes in the state and federal courts in the Pacific Northwest for decades. They coordinate closely to offer their services to avoid disputes when possible but resolve them when needed through arbitration, alternative dispute resolution, and litigation.